11.11.2009

Sense & Sensibility


nighthawk at the diner: Paul Simonon, Bassist, The Clash

Today, a friend of mine educated me on the softer, more cerebral side of a punk rocker's heart.
I refer specifically to Paul Simonon, the bassist of a little band known formally
as The Clash, and his following quote:

"The Buzzcocks were very Mondrian, and we were Pollock.

As a painter, though, I'm essentially old-fashioned.

Conceptualism just doesn't do it for me.

I love Walter Sickert, Samuel Palmer, Rubens and Constable. That's just the way I am."



The qualities I find most attractive in a man
are the same that I appreciate in a Constable painting:
inwardly spiritual, moody, romantic, characterized by equal parts darkness and light.

John Constable, Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadows, 1831.

2 comments:

  1. love that photo... the bassist, not the constable, although they both are fetching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. comment ca va?

    Who is it that speaks?

    ReplyDelete